National Redress Scheme
The Australian Government has developed the National Redress Scheme to provide support to people who were sexually abused as children in institutional settings.
If you or someone you know experienced sexual abuse as a child in a Queensland Institution, you may be eligible for redress under the Scheme.
The Scheme was developed in response to recommendations from the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
The Scheme started on 1 July 2018 and will run for 10 years and seeks to ensure that the institutions that were responsible for the abuse acknowledge the harm that was caused and provide redress.
The Scheme will provide redress in 3 ways:
- A monetary payment
- Access to up to 20 hours of counselling and psychological care – and more if required
- The option to receive a direct personal response, for example, an apology
How to access the Scheme
To receive redress under the Scheme:
- a person must have experienced child sexual abuse that an institution participating in the Scheme is responsible for
- the abuse must have happened when the person was under 18 years old and it must have happened before the Scheme started on 1 July 2018
- a person must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- applications must be made between 1 July 2018 and 30 June 2027
The Scheme does not cover non-institutional abuse, such as by a family member.
How to contact the Scheme
More information about the Scheme, including how to access an application form, is available from the National Redress Scheme website.
Visit: www.nationalredress.gov.au or call the National Redress Scheme on 1800 737 377, Mon to Fri 8am – 5pm.
Free legal help is available for anyone considering applying to the Scheme from knowmore. Phone: 1800 737 377.
Redress Support Services
Free and confidential Redress Support Services are available. Redress Support Services can help people complete their redress application and answer any questions they may have.
Relationships Australia Queensland – phone: 1300 364 277
Bravehearts – phone: 1800 272 831
Micah Projects | Lotus Support Services – phone: 07 3036 4490
Indigenous Support Services
Link-Up (Qld) – phone: 1800 200 855 or visit www.link-upqld.org.au
Cape York/Gulf Remote Area Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Child Care (RAATSICC) Advisory Association – phone: 07 4030 0900
For a full list of Redress Support Services
Visit: www.nationalredress.gov.au/support or phone: 1800 737 377
Free legal help is available for anyone considering applying to the Scheme from knowmore. Phone: 1800 605 762 or www.knowmore.org.au
If immediate assistance is required, 24 hour help is also available through:
- Beyond Blue 1300 224 636
- Lifeline 13 11 14
- 1800Respect 1800 737 732
- Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467
- MensLine 1300 787 978
In an emergency, please call the police on Triple Zero (000).